Friday, December 28, 2012

Far and Fast


I jump a step, my momentum is
the only fulcrum
as I bounce.
Feet to pound
Knees to ground,
I move to be free.
Their heels are striking behind,
clacking on the dry sediment.
They follow behind as I bound ahead.
A rising star animates the glowing distance behind us,
For us.
Everything dead and dry,
But I am the only thing alive.
My heart is skipping.
My body fighting everything in the way,
In every way.
3 mountain sides to climb
3 more lands to conquer
under my feet
I smile because I can.
I can run,
And I can smile.
I also grit my teeth to the pain,
But I know without, there is no gain.
Aleena smiled.
Her teeth sparkled and hope burst in her eyes.
She ran, far and fast, out of this place,
Found a future and wealth beyond this space.
She conquered many a mountain side
With kilometers marked on her feet.

Sometimes I run.
I run to school to learn from the strangers.
I run to press my body on.
I run because the searchers only want the fast.
I run to think for my family.
But sometimes I just run, far and fast,
to see who will free me from this cast.

Image from "A Day in the Life of Africa"
Original poetry by Erin Thomas

No comments:

Post a Comment